M. Eleanor Jackson Papers
Scope and Contents
The papers cover M. Eleanor Jackson's years as a student on the University of Maine Orono campus from 1916-1920. Included are scrapbooks containing photographs of campus scenes and buildings, programs, and other items as well as material on Delta Delta Delta sorority.
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
M. Eleanor ("Jack") Jackson was born in Cambridge, Mass., in 1897. She earned her B.S. in home economics from the University of Maine in 1920 and M.A. from Columbia University in 1932. She was a member of Delta Delta Delta sorority. She started her career with the University of Maine Extension Service and later moved to Massachusetts where she was supervisor of home economics for Everett and Brookline schools. She joined Union Central Insurance Co. in 1943 and became a consistent member of the $500,000 club. She wrote many articles on the selling of life insurance and in 1948 was elected a director of the Boston Life Underwriters Association. She was a long-time secretary-treasurer of her class of 1920 and past president of the Boston Alumnae Association from 1956-1960. She was a member of the Executive Committee of the General Alumni Association, creator of the Block "M" award for alumni activities, and a recipient of the Service Emblem Award in 1966.
1 linear foot (1 box)
Language of Materials
- Artifacts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Delta Delta Delta. Alpha Kappa Chapter (University of Maine)
- Greek letter societies -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Students -- Maine -- Orono -- Social life and customs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Maine -- Students
- University of Maine. Class of 1920
- Guide to the M. Eleanor Jackson Papers
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note