Benton L. Hatch Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains both the personal papers of Benton Hatch and items from his collection of materials on Maine and New England history. Included are personal papers of Samuel and Joseph Foxcroft from New Gloucester, Maine, and records of the town of Fryeburg, Maine. The collection also contains papers of Fannie Hardy Eckstorm including a diary and photographs taken by her in 1891 and 1892, as well as items from her personal library. Photographs from the library of Lucius L. Hubbard are also included. The collection also contains individual letters, correspondence, photographs, diaries, monographs, and various other types of documents dating mostly from the 18th and 19th centures and connected with Maine. A few items also relate to Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Connecticut.
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Benton L. Hatch was born in Kittery, Maine on January 11, 1913, the son of Edgar and Bertha Rounds Hatch. After attending college for one year in Massachusetts, he transferred to Yale in 1933 and graduated in 1935 with a concentration in classics. After spending a few years working at Sterling Library at Yale and for the Maine Forest Service and the Maine Seaboard Paper Company, he began work as a cataloger at the library at Colby College in Waterville, Maine. He then moved to the library at the University of Massachusetts, first to a position in acquisitions and then as Associate Librarian for Special Collections, retiring in 1981. He was also an author and a collector of materials in many formats on Maine and New England history and had an extensive personal library of such materials. Hatch moved to Eliot, Maine after retiring and died there on January 8, 1988.
5 linear feet (7 boxes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from the estate of Benton L. Hatch in 1991.
- Books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Connecticut -- History -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Documents Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Eckstorm, Fannie Hardy, 1865-1946
- Foxcroft, Joseph E.
- Foxcroft, Samuel, 1735?-1807
- Fryeburg (Me.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hubbard, Lucius L. (Lucius Lee), 1849-1933
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Maine -- Description and travel -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Maine -- History -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Massachusetts -- History -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Gloucester (Me.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Hampshire -- History -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Benton L. Hatch Collection
- Box And Folder List Available
- Brenda Howitson Steeves
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States