Edmund Abbott Papers
Scope and Content Note
The papers of a student studying to become a physician. Included are 3 class notebooks (1872, 1874, 1876), an autograph book (1876) which includes autographs of college professors, a sketch book (1875), an account book of college expenses and a typescript copy (1874-1877), 1876 photograph of Edmund Abbott, 1875 junior thesis titled Insanity, student paper on human parasitic animals, and 1876 graduating thesis titled "The East or the West?"
- Abbott, Edmund, 1857-1933 (Person)
Language of Materials
No restrictions on access.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Dr. Edmund Abbott was born on March 12, 1857, at Winterport, Maine, son of Dr. Charles and Harriet Newell (Chick) Abbott. He was graduated from Maine State College in 1876 at the age of 19, the youngest member of his class, and from the University Medical College of New York on March 12, 1879, that date being his 22nd birthday. He passed an examination to become a surgeon in the United States Army, but when his father died he decided to take up his father's practice in Winterport. After practicing in Winterport for 10 years he went to Providence, Rhode Island, becoming a licensed physician in Rhode Island in 1899. He was a member of the Rhode Island Medical Society. He practiced in Providence for nearly 30 years. He was married in 1893 to Amy Charlotte Moore of Providence. He died in Rhode Island in 1933.
1 folder (11 items)
Other Finding Aids
No finding aid - see Special Collections librarian for assistance.
The National Library of Medicine also has a collection of Edmund Abbott's papers which include a diary.
- Abbott, Edmund, 1857-1933
- Account books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Autograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Notebooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Physicians Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sketchbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts (Maine) -- Students
- Students -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theses Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Edmund Abbott Papers
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note