John L. Goss and Fred A. Torrey Papers
- Majority of material found within 1901-1940
- Goss, John L. (Person)
- Torrey, Fred A. (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
John L. Goss acquired possession of Crotch Island, located off Stonington, in 1887, and with his father, Job Goss, started the granite quarrying business there. Goss also acquired the F.S. Warren quarry on Crotch Island in 1896 and began operating on Moose Island in the late 1890s. The years 1900-1910 were the most prosperous for Goss Corporation and other producers of Stonington granite. By 1905 the company had a crew of 100 men on Moose Island and 80 on Crotch Island. In 1922 Goss sold Moose Island to the shipbuilding firm, Billings Brothers. By the 1930s Goss was forced to close intermittently for lack of jobs. John L. Goss died in 1936, but the company carried on with Max L. Button becoming president; Fred Torrey remained as treasurer and local manager, with William McKenzie serving as general superintendent. In 1953 the Deer Isle Granite Corporation purchased the Goss property on Crotch Island and the Goss Corporation's long working history in Stonington came to an end. Deer Isle itself defaulted on a loan in 1968 and ceased operations in 1969.
48 cubic feet (48 boxes)
6 linear feet (ledgers ; 21-38 cm)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged in two series: Series I: Records of John L. Goss Corporation and Series II: Papers of Fred A Torrey. Series I is further divided into the following sub-series: 1. Administrative records; 2. Administrative correspondence of Fred Torrey; 3. General correspondence; 4. Invoices and receipts; and 5. Records of R.B. Corporation.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposited by Deer Isle-Stonington Historical Society.
- Account books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Deer Isle Granite Corporation
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Goss family
- Granite industry and trade -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Invoices Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- John L. Goss Corporation
- Letter books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Payroll records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- R. B. Corporation
- Torrey family
- Guide to the John L. Goss and Fred A. Torrey Papers
- Box And Folder List Available
- Brenda Howitson Steeves
- January 2005
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States