A. L. R. Gardner Company Store Records
Scope and Contents
The records include receipt books (1888-1894 incomplete, 1945-1949), ledgers (1912-1950), capital stock book (1902-1951), company meeting records (1902-1951), and photographs.
- Gardner, Aaron Leeman Raymond (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
In 1871 A.L.R. Gardner began operating a general store in Dennysville, Maine, with the assistance of two of his four sons, Edwin R. and Fred L. In addition to handling the usual merchandise of a country store, the Gardners were dealers of coal, grain, stoves, shingles (pine, spruce, and cedar), and farm implements, as well as crockery, agateware, and even fine Austrian china. After the settling of A.L.R. Gardner's estate in 1902, the A.L.R. Gardner Company was formed with Edwin R. Gardner serving as treasurer, clerk, and manager; Fred L. Gardner, president; and the rest of the family, directors. During 1909-1910 Gardner's store was extensively remodeled. After the death of Edwin Gardner in 1918, Fred L. Gardner became clerk, treasurer, and manager, and his brother, Charles, served as president. During later years Fred L.'s son, Louis, became involved in the store business, which he carried on after his father's death in 1944. The store eventually was closed, and the building was razed in 1961.
Language of Materials
- A. L. R. Gardner Company (Dennysville, Me.)
- Business records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dennysville (Me.) -- Commerce Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gardner family
- General stores -- Maine -- Dennysville Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ledgers (Account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Receipts (Financial records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Stock certificates Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the A. L. R. Gardner Company Store Records
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note