Wofford G. Gardner Papers
Scope and Contents
The papers contain a history of debating at the University of Maine from 1931-1979. Included are newspaper clippings, debate schedules, and correspondence.
- Creation: 1931-1979
- Gardner, Wofford G., 1914-1997 (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Wofford G. Gardner was born March 29, 1914, in Bangor, Maine. He graduated from Southwestern College, Winfield, Kansas, with a B.A. degree and from Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill., with an M.A. and Ph.D. He joined the faculty of the University of Maine in 1946 and was chairman of the Department of Speech from 1948-1975. During those years he was director of Debate and Forensics for 25 years. He directed the UMO High School Debate Workshop and Debate Tournament for 25 years. He was parliamentarian for many organizations in the area. He died in Orono on Aug. 30, 1997.
1 linear foot (1 box)
Language of Materials
- University of Maine. Department of Communication and Journalism (Organization)
- University of Maine -- Faculty (Organization)
- Guide to the Wofford G. Gardner Papers
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note