Wofford G. Gardner Papers
Scope and Contents
The papers contain a history of debating at the University of Maine from 1931-1979. Included are newspaper clippings, debate schedules, and correspondence.
- Gardner, Wofford G., 1914-1997 (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Wofford G. Gardner was born March 29, 1914, in Bangor, Maine. He graduated from Southwestern College, Winfield, Kansas, with a B.A. degree and from Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill., with an M.A. and Ph.D. He joined the faculty of the University of Maine in 1946 and was chairman of the Department of Speech from 1948-1975. During those years he was director of Debate and Forensics for 25 years. He directed the UMO High School Debate Workshop and Debate Tournament for 25 years. He was parliamentarian for many organizations in the area. He died in Orono on Aug. 30, 1997.
1 linear foot (1 box)
Language of Materials
- Clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Debates and debating -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Schedules Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Maine -- Faculty
- University of Maine. Department of Communication and Journalism
- Guide to the Wofford G. Gardner Papers
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States