Emerson & Stevens Manufacturing Company Records
Scope and Contents
The records include correspondence, receipts, ledgers, check stubs, and shipping records.
- Creation: 1873-1962
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Located in Oakland, Maine, on Messalonskee Stream the foundry of the Emerson & Stevens Manufacturing Company made axes and scythes. It was founded in 1870 by Luther D. Emerson, Joseph E. Stevens, W.R. Pinkham and George W. Stevens. Four successive generations of men who had trained in the business under their predecessors ran the company until it ceased production in 1967. At that time Ralph W. Stowell, who revived the company after a disastrous fire in 1923, was the principal owner with the title of treasurer; his son, Ralph Stowell Jr., a Navy dentist, was president; and Harold E. York, a Bowdoin graduate, general manager.
Language of Materials
- Guide to the Emerson & Stevens Manufacturing Company Records
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note