William Warren Durgin Papers
Scope and Contents
A small collection of materials relating to William Warren Durgin (1839-1929) of North Lovell, Maine. Included are photocopies of military papers, photographs of his grave, photographs of a wax figure of Abraham Lincoln, The New York Herald from April 15, 1865 reporting the assassination of Lincoln, and newspaper clippings.
- Durgin, William Warren, 1839-1929 (Person)
Restrictions on Access
No restrictions on access.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
William Warren Durgin was a pallbearer for Abraham Lincoln, part of the military escort accompanying the casket on the famous funeral train from Washington, D.C. to Springfield, Ill. He was born in Stoneham, Maine in 1839. In 1861 he enlisted in the 1st Maine Regiment and served in the war until 1865. He was in no important battles of the war. He was in several occupations and in considerable skirmish fighting, but went through the war practically without injury. After the war he spent hours completing forms and searching out references to meet the requirements of successive Pension Reforms passed by the Congress well into the 20th century. He spent his last days in a cabin in North Lovell, Maine where he died in 1929.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from the Maine State Museum.
- Clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 -- Death and burial
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 -- Funeral journey to Springfield
- Military records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Orders (Military records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Veterans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the William Warren Durgin Papers
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States