George B. Dunn Papers
Scope and Contents
The papers of a lumberman and farmer in Houlton, Maine. Included are account books, financial records, correspondence, deeds, leases, ledgers, receipts, Dunn family papers, stumpage records, tax information, and time books.
- Dunn, George B., 1849- (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
George B. Dunn was born in Ashland, Maine in 1849, the son of Eldridge G. Dunn and Louise Bracket Dunn. He studied at Houlton Academy, later known as Ricker Classical Institute, following which he studied for one year at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology at Boston. He associated himself with his father's business, working in the woods getting out timber for his father's mill. Later, with his brother Eldridge G. Jr., he organized the firm of Dunn & Dunn, lumber dealers, and started in business for himself. The brothers were successful and built up a large and important business. In addition to his extensive lumber interest and farming activities, for many years he was actively interested in banking. He was a member of the Board of Directors of the First National Bank of Houlton. He was one of the best known farmers and dealers in timberland in northern Maine and also was highly respected in the community. He married Lucinda R. Cushing and had three children: Louise Dunn Sawyer, Deborah Dunn Chapman, and George E. Dunn.
Language of Materials
- Account books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Deeds Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dunn & Dunn
- Dunn family
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Forest landowners -- Maine -- Houlton Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Leases Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ledgers (Account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Receipts (Financial records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Stumpage records Subject Source: Local sources
- Tax records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Time books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the George B. Dunn Papers
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States