Robert Dunning Chellis Family Papers
Scope and Contents
The family papers of a civil engineer. Included are medical papers, personal records, household bills, and receipts. There are a few papers relating to Robert Dunning Chellis' son Robert Dana Chellis.
- Chellis, Robert Dunning, 1887- (Person)
- Chellis, Robert Dana (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Robert Dunning Chellis was born in Parsonfield, Maine in 1897. He graduated from the University of Maine in 1919 with a B.S. in Civil Engineering. In 1929 he earned a C.E. in Civil Engineering at the same school. For 39 years he was a structural engineer with Stone and Webster Engineering Corporation. During this period he was involved in projects throughout most of the United States, in four provinces of Canada, and in four foreign countries. He became a world authority in pile foundation and made his wide experience available to others through his many writings. He published numerous articles and contributed to several reference books on foundations. His volume Pile foundations was the best known international reference on the subject when it was published. He died in Massachusetts in 1970.
1 linear foot (1 box)
Language of Materials
- Bills of sale Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Civil engineers -- Massachusetts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Receipts (Financial records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Robert Dunning Chellis Family Papers
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States