Burnham & Morrill Company Records
Identifier: SpC MS 0079
Scope and Contents
Financial records of a food canning company in Portland, Maine.
- Morrill, Charles S., 1836-1901 (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Burnham & Morrill Co., a widely known Portland, Maine landmark, was a canning business. In 1867 George Burnham, who previously had been a partner in the canning firm of Rumery & Burnham, started his own business and was joined by John E. Burnham and Charles Morrill. For nearly 50 years the company was owned by the Burnham family, but in 1910 George B. Morrill, Sr. bought out the Burnham's interest and soon after, B&M moved from 13 Franklin Street, Portland to its site on Casco Bay. In 1965 the address of the B&M plant was redesigned as "One Bean Pot Circle." In 1965 the Wm. Underwood Company acquired B&M.
254 ledgers (18-52 cm.)
Language of Materials
- Guide to the Burnham & Morrill Company Records
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note