Joseph Blake Correspondence
Scope and Contents
Correspondence consists primarily of 488 letters sent to Rev. Blake by botanists. Also contains later correspondence concerning the donation of his herbarium and 4 lists of fungi.
- Creation: 1837-1941
- Creation: Majority of material found within ( 1847-1888)
- Blake, Joseph, 1814-1888 (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Joseph Blake was born in Otisfield, Maine in January 1814. He studied theology in the Bangor Theological Seminary and was ordained pastor of the Congregational Church in Cumberland, Maine where he remained 18 years. He later became a botanist and donated his valuable herbarium to the University of Maine. He died at Andover, Mass. in May 1888.
1 linear foot (1 box)
Language of Materials
- Guide to the Joseph Blake Correspondence
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note