John Franklin Day Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains personal correspondence from the 1920s through the 1960s reflecting Day's literary interests, efforts to publish his work and his activities in various social organizations. Included also are scrapbooks, diaries, photographs, postcards and artifacts, especially those relating to the Day family, the East Maine Conference Seminary and Wesleyan University. Also included are files about Day's writing and manuscripts of poems and essays. Client files from his career in insurance are also found in the collection.
- Day, John Franklin, 1884-1972 (Person)
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
John Franklin Day was born in 1884 in Wesley, Maine, the son of Joel and Catherine Breen Day. He attended the East Maine Conference Seminary in Bucksport, Maine, and graduated in 1914 from Wesleyan University. He spent his career in the insurance industry, working as an agent and then as director of sales for the New England Mutual Life Insurance Co. in Boston. He was also an author and a poet, publishing a novel, East of Katahdin, in 1949 and Facets of the Mind, a privately printed book of poetry, in 1957. He was involved in various literary activities in Boston and served as president of the Boston Authors Club and the Boston Shakespeare Club. He was also a member of the New England Poetry Society, the Browning Society of Boston, the Lake Placid Club, the Longwood Cricket Club and the Bostonian Society. He married Helen (Moore) Day in 1948; they lived in Boston and had homes in Ashby, Mass., and Seal Cove in Tremont, Maine. Along with his brothers, Day also started a hunting camp, Tomah Stream Hunters Club, in Princeton, Maine, remaining involved in the club until 1970. John Day died on July 3, 1972.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Helen M. Day in 1974.
- Artifacts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Authors, American -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- East Maine Conference Seminary (Bucksport, Me.) -- Alumni and alumnae
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hunting lodges -- Maine -- Princeton Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Insurance executives -- Massachusetts -- Boston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New England Mutual Life Insurance Company
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Picture postcards Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Poets, American -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Wesleyan University (Middletown, Conn.) -- Alumni and alumnae
- Guide to the John Franklin Day Papers
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.