Lawrence Weston Davee Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains papers of Lawrence W. Davee and includes biographical information, photographs, membership certificates and information about awards he received from the University of Maine. It also contains a small amount of information about his father, Everett W. Davee, including membership certificates and items from the dedication of a memorial plaque in his honor at the University of Maine.
- Davee, Lawrence Weston (Person)
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Lawrence W. Davee, the son of Everett and Sarah Weston Davee, was born in Foxcroft, Maine, on March 28, 1900. He graduated from the University of Maine in 1922 with a degree in electrical engineering. His professional life was spent developing the process for putting sound on film; he was also responsible for many other technological developments in the motion picture industry. He was the recipient of numerous industry awards as well as an honorary doctor of science degree from the University of Maine in 1976. A resident of Tenafly, N.J., Davee and his wife Muriel Goodrich Davee, moved to Orono, Maine, after his retirement in 1975. Lawrence Davee died on September 30, 1993.
Everett W. Davee, the son of Jonathan and Lucretia Willard Davee and the father of Lawrence W. Davee, was born on January 3, 1875, in Foxcroft, Maine. He worked at the University of Maine for many years as an instructor in mechanical engineering, retiring in 1940. He died on November 27, 1951.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of James E. Davee, Athens, Georgia in 2001.
- Davee, Everett W.
- Education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Motion picture projection -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sound engineers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sound in motion pictures Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Maine -- Alumni and alumnae
- University of Maine -- Employees
- University of Maine -- History
- Guide to the Lawrence Weston Davee Papers
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.