Merle C. Niles Scrapbook
Scope and Contents
A scrapbook maintained by Niles while a student at the University of Maine. It contains signatures and comments of class members as well as memorabilia and photographs especially of the university track team. It also includes souvenirs and photographs from Niles's membership in Lambda Chi Alpha; of particular interest are those documenting his attendance at the Lambda Chi Alpha national convention in Dallas, Texas, in Dec. 1921-Jan. 1922.
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Merle Clyde Niles, son of Leverna L. and Carrie Fernald Niles, was born in Rumford, Maine, on Dec. 6, 1899. He was a member of the class of 1923 at the University of Maine, graduating with a degree in economics. While at the university, he was a member of Lambda Chi Alpha and president of the freshman class. He was employed by W.T. Grant Co. at various locations after graduation and then worked at Bath Iron Works from 1942 until his retirement in 1956. Merle Niles died on April 26, 1964.
1 volume (31 x 44 cm.)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Jane Niles Pickett in August 2003.
No finding aid - see Special Collections librarian for assistance.
- College students -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Greek letter societies -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lambda Chi Alpha. Beta Chapter (University of Maine)
- Niles, Merle C., 1899-1964
- University of Maine -- Alumni and alumnae
- University of Maine -- History
- University of Maine -- Students
- University of Maine -- Societies, etc.
- University of Maine -- Track and field
- Guide to the Merle C. Niles Scrapbook
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States