Business Records from Monroe, Maine
Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: SpC MS 1638
Scope and Contents
A collection of records of businesses in Monroe, Maine. Includes two day books, 1836-1838 and 1838-1839, and a ledger, 1837-1851, recording goods sold and services performed. Most transactions center around lumbering. Also contains a day book, 1835-1856, of Benjamin F. Palmer of Monroe recording work done, including boards hauled or sawed, surveying of timber, etc.; and another, 1844-1887, of Joseph Palmer of Monroe also listing work done as well as goods such as coffee, molasses, tea, etc. sold presumably in a general store. The collection also contains a day book, 1870-1889, of an unidentified person recording purchases of boards, planks, corn, barley, etc.; and a ledger, 1830-1850s, belonging to George Willis and recording financial transactions as well as sales of wheat, shingles, hemlock logs, etc. A final volume in the collection appears to be an index, 1854-1857, to a ledger and records by individual's name money owed and paid. Many of the persons listed lived in Paris, Maine.
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
1 box (8 volumes)
Language of Materials
- Business enterprises -- Maine -- Monroe Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- General stores -- Maine -- Monroe Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lumbering -- Maine -- Monroe Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Monroe (Me.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Palmer, Benjamin F.
- Palmer, Joseph
- Willis, George
- Guide to the Business Records from Monroe, Maine
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note