Clinton Llewellyn Cole Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains material from Clinton Cole's years as a student at the University of Maine, including diaries from 1898 and 1899, memorabilia from his social activities at the university, lecture notes and photographs.
The bulk of the collection is made up of Cole's scrapbooks and individual illustrations from newspapers and magazines of a variety of ships. Also included is an index listing the contents of the scrapbooks by vessel name, artist, and vessel owner, compiled by Robin Tarbell.
- Cole, Clinton Llewellyn (Person)
This collection is kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice is required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Clinton Llewellyn Cole, the son of Edward and Hattie Cole, was born in Sedgwick, Maine, on January 19, 1879. He graduated from the University of Maine in 1900 with a degree in civil engineering. Following his graduation he was employed at the university for three years as instructor in civil engineering and mechanical drawing. In 1903 he moved to Hartford, Conn., where he became a consulting engineer and partner in the firm of Bliss & Cole, appraisers and insurance evaluators.
Clinton Cole died in July, 1936, in West Hartford, Connecticut. He bequeathed his collection of approximately 3,500 books about maritime subjects to Fogler Library, where it makes up the Clinton Cole Marine Library in the Special Collections Department.
2.5 linear feet (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
Index to scrapbooks and illustrations available in the repository.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Lois Cole Raymond.
- Clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pamphlets Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sailing ships -- Pictorial works Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ships -- Pictorial works Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sketches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Tarbell, Robin
- University of Maine -- Alumni and alumnae
- University of Maine -- History
- University of Maine -- Students
- Guide to the Clinton Llewellyn Cole Papers
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.