Fay Hyland Notebooks
Scope and Contents
The collection contains various notebooks of information compiled by Fay Hyland. The earliest volume contains class notes taken in 1923, presumably at Michigan State University. Three notebooks from 1933, 1934, and 1937-1938 record trees and other plants observed in various places in Maine. Another notebook contains information about experiments carried out by Hyland in Cambridge, Mass. in 1939 as well as information on experiments conducted in 1940. The final volume in the collection records observations made on field trips for a botany class in 1943.
Restrictions on Access
No restrictions on access.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Fay Hyland was a professor of botany at the University of Maine, joining the faculty there in 1926 and serving until 1965. He was born in Portland, Michigan, on March 10, 1900, received a B.S. degree in forestry from Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University) in 1925 and an M.S. degree in forestry from the University of Maine in 1929. His research included study of the anatomy of wood, diseases of potatoes, apples and blueberries, and shade and forest trees. Fay Hyland died on Nov. 16, 1984.
1 box (6 volumes)
Language of Materials
No finding aid - see Special Collections librarian for assistance.
- Botanists -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Botany -- Study and teaching -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hyland, Fay, 1900-1984
- Michigan Agricultural College -- Students
- Plants -- Research -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Trees -- Maine -- Research Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Maine -- Faculty
- Guide to the Fay Hyland Notebooks
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States