Milton S. and Angela Clifford Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection includes manuscripts of poems by Milton S. Clifford. It also includes a few items related to the career of his son, Dr. Milton H. Clifford, and a number of items related to several generations of the family’s history. Documents include a memory book prepared by Milton’s older sister Alice, transcriptions of a diary of Fred Godfrey, the letters of John Franklin “Frank” Godfrey, a journal of Henry E. Prentiss' trip to Europe in 1866, and many family photographs.
- Clifford, Milton Sherburne (Person)
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights available in the library.
Milton Sherburne Clifford was a Bangor lawyer who worked closely with members of the Prentiss and Lord families. Born in 1871, he graduated from Bowdoin College in 1893, read law in the office of H. L. Mitchell of Bangor, and was admitted to the bar in 1896. He married Angela Godfrey in 1895.
Two volumes of Milton S. Clifford’s poetry were published following his death in 1925, including Pearls in 1928 and Nebula in 1931. Both volumes were locally published by Dillinghams in Bangor, printed by the Burr Printing Company.
Angela Godfrey Clifford was the daughter of Abbie Prentiss and George Frederick "Fred" Godfrey. Abbie's father was Henry E. Prentiss. Fred's father was John Edwards Godfrey.
Language of Materials
The manuscripts of poems by Milton S. Clifford. Also transcriptions of the diaries of Alice Clifford, George F. Godfrey, the letters of John Franklin Godfrey, the Journal of H.E. Prentiss' trip to Europe (1866) and family photographs.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Dr. Milton Henry Clifford beginning in October 1974 to 1976 and Dr. and Mrs. Robert Kellogg, May 1974.
- Bangor (Me.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Brazil -- Description and travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clifford, Alice
- Clifford, Angela
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Europe -- Description and travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Family -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Godfrey, George Frederick
- Godfrey, John Edwards, 1809-1884
- Godfrey, John Franklin, 1839-1885
- Lincoln (Me.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Poetry Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Poets, American -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Prentiss, Henry E., 1809-1873
- Telecommunication Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Milton S. and Angela Clifford Papers
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States