Merton R. Lovett Letters
Scope and Contents
The collection contains letters written by Merton R. Lovett while a student at the University of Maine to his mother and to Margaret Woodberry, who later became his wife. The letters describe his daily life and activities during the four years he attended the university.
- Lovett, Merton R. (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Merton Rooks Lovett, the son of Solon and Mary Barron Lovett, was born in Beverly, Massachusetts on September 15, 1885. He was a member of the Class of 1906 at the University of Maine, where he joined the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. He was a lifelong resident of Beverly and was active in civic affairs there, being a member of the Beverly School Committee and numerous clubs and organizations. He was married to Margaret Pickett Woodberry and had three children. Merton Lovett died in 1946.
1 box (8 folders)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Robert Lovett, Beverly, Mass., in 1982.
- College students -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Greek letter societies -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lovett, Merton R. -- Correspondence
- Sigma Alpha Epsilon -- : Social life and customs
- University of Maine -- : Alumni and alumnae
- University of Maine -- : History
- University of Maine -- : Students
- University of Maine. Class of 1906
- Guide to the Merton R. Lovett Letters
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States