Mary Ellen Chase Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 9 file folders in one box. The collection contains original manuscripts and/or second drafts of "Dawn in Lyoness," "Mary Peters," "Silas Crockett," "This England," and "Uplands." It also contains correspondence with Dr. Hugh Stalker.
- Chase, Mary Ellen, 1887-1973 (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Restrictions on Use
Information on literary rights available from repository.
Mary Ellen Chase was born on February 24, 1887 in Blue Hill, ME, the daughter of Edward Everett and Edith Chase. She obtained her undergraduate degree in 1909 from the University of Maine, and her M.A. (1918) and Ph.D (1922) from the University of Minnesota. She also did post-doctoral work in England from 1923-1926.
She worked at the University of Minnesota and Smith College, MA. She wrote over 40 books.
She died on July 28, 1973.
1 linear foot (1 box)
Language of Materials
The letters of Mary Ellen Chase to Dr. Hugh Stalker, some writing, notebooks, portraits, and clippings.
Arrangement of the Records
The collection is arranged into 9 folders according to subject.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given as a gift to Fogler Library Special Collections.
- Authors, American -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Stalker, Hugh, Dr.
- Guide to the Mary Ellen Chase Papers
- Box And Folder List Available
- Inventory prepared by a member of the Fogler Library staff.
- August 2003
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States