Matthew Edward Highlands Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection includes biographical information about Matthew and Ramona Highlands, newspaper clippings about his war service and career, and correspondence dated 1945-1949, including letters of appreciation for his service in the military and during the Berlin blockade. Included among the letters is one from Pres. Harry Truman written in 1949, expressing his appreciation to those involved in the relief effort in Germany after the war. The collection also includes photographs of Matthew and Ramona Highlands and obituaries and remembrances at the time of Dr. Highlands' death in 2003.
Restrictions on Access
No restrictions on access.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Matthew Edward Highlands was a graduate of the University of Maine and later a faculty member there. He was born in 1905 and after being orphaned at a young age, was raised by relatives in North Berwick, Maine. He graduated from the University of Maine in 1928, received a masters degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1934, and a doctorate from the University of Massachusetts in 1951. Dr. Highlands was a food technologist for the Frigidaire Corp. before returning to the University of Maine as a professor of bacteriology and food technology in 1935. During World War II he was head of the Dehydrated Products Branch of the U.S. Army Quartermaster Corps, in charge of research and development of hydrated foods for the military. He also played a role in the Berlin Airlift, during which he and his team reduced the weight of the food needed sufficiently so that the airlift could be carried out successfully. After the war, Dr. Highlands returned to the University of Maine where he continued to teach and conduct research in the Food Sciences and Technology Dept. Dr. Highlands married Ramona Faye Poley in 1931; she died in 1999. Dr. Highlands died on Jan. 21, 2003.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Theodore S. Curtis, Jr., Orono, Me. in May 2005.
No finding aid - see Special Collections librarian for assistance.
- Berlin (Germany) -- History -- Blockade, 1948-1949 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dried foods -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Highlands, Matthew Edward
- Highlands, Ramona Poley
- Truman, Harry S., 1884-1972
- University of Maine -- Alumni and alumnae
- University of Maine -- Faculty
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Food supply Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Matthew Edward Highlands Papers
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States