Identifier: SpC MS 1369
Scope and Contents
The collection contains detailed daily diaries by an unidentified compiler written in 1914, 1915 and 1922. The entries begin when the diarist is living in Fairfield, Maine, where he seems to have worked as a farm laborer. By September 1914, he is working at the Cowan Woolen Company in Lewiston, Maine. The entries from Lewiston continue until September 1915. Entries begin again in 1922, by which time the author is working as a porter at B.F. Keith's Theatre in Boston. Each entry gives a very detailed description of the writer's daily routine, his expenses for meals and entertainment, his duties at the mill or the theater, and his leisure pastimes. A few swatches of fabric are included with the diaries.
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
8 Volumes (21-29 cm.)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Bess Cutler Gallery, York Beach, Me. in 2003.
- Agricultural laborers -- Maine -- Fairfield -- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- B. F. Keith's Theatre (Organization : Boston, Mass.)
- Boston (Mass.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cowan Woolen Company (Lewiston, Me.)
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fairfield (Me.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lewiston (Me.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Textile workers -- Maine -- Lewiston -- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theaters -- Massachusetts -- Boston -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Diaries (1914-1922)
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.