Bert Call Photograph Collection
Scope and Contents
Negatives of photographs taken between 1914 and 1939 by Call of outdoor scenes of mountains, lakes, woods and streams in the northern part of Maine. Included are shots from the Mt. Katahdin and Baxter State Park area, the Greenville and Moosehead Lake region, Mt. Desert Island and Bar Harbor, Aroostook and Piscataquis Counties, and the towns of Onawa and Dexter, Maine. Photos of agricultural scenes from northern Maine, coastal scenes, and industrial scenes, especially of the Katahdin Iron Works, are also found in the collection. A small number of the negatives represent homes and people in the Dexter area. Many photographs were used in the Bangor and Aroostook Railroad's annual, "In the Maine Woods," published to promote the railroad's passenger business.
- Creation: 1914-1939
- Call, Albert "Bert", 1866-1965 (Person)
No restrictions on access.
Rights assessment remains the responsibility of the researcher. No known restrictions on publication. For information about the process and fees for obtaining higher resolution scans or another file format, contact Special Collections.
Bert Call was a professional photographer in Dexter, Maine from 1887 to 1953, starting as an apprentice to A.G. Fassett and shortly thereafter buying Fassett's studio. He was a portrait photographer but took many photographs in the northern Maine woods. He was also the official photographer from 1915 to 1931 for the Bangor and Aroostook Railroad's publication, "In the Maine Woods."
3376 photographs (negatives ; black-and-white ; 13 x 18 cm)
Language of Materials
Negatives of photographs taken between 1914 and 1939 by Call of outdoor scenes of mountains, lakes, woods and streams in the northern part of Maine.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift from Dexter Historical Society in 1988. Additional material given in 1991 by John Reed, Orono, Me.
Genre / Form
- Aroostook County (Me.) -- Photographs
- Bar Harbor (Me.) -- Photographs
- Baxter State Park (Me.) -- Photographs
- Dexter (Me.) -- Photographs
- Greenville (Me.) -- Photographs
- Katahdin, Mount (Me.) -- Photographs
- Maine -- Description and travel
- Moosehead Lake (Me.) -- Photographs
- Mount Desert Island (Me.) -- Photographs
- Onawa (Me.) -- Photographs
- Piscataquis County (Me.) -- Photographs
- Guide to the Bert Call Photograph Collection
- Digital Objects Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.