Henry Russ Butler Photographs
Scope and Contents
Photographs belonging to Henry Russ Butler and taken between 1916 and 1920. The photos depict buildings on the University of Maine campus, as well as students and campus activities from that time period. Also included are a few photographs of the Parsonsfield Seminary, Parsonsfield, Maine, and shots taken in Bridgton, Portland and Gray, Maine.
- Creation: 1916-1920
- Butler, Henry Russ (Person)
Restrictions on Access
No restrictions on access.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Henry Russ Butler was a member of the class of 1920 at the University of Maine. He majored in electrical engineering and was elected to Tau Beta Pi and Phi Kappa Phi honor societies as well as being a member of Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity. Butler worked for General Electric, Wired Radio and ITT, spending most of his professional life in New Jersey. He was involved in the early development of radio and is credited with designing the first radio transmitter for airplanes. The Henry R. And Grace V. Butler Professorship in Electrical Engineering at the University was established in his honor. Henry Butler died in 1995.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Frank and Ruth Butler, Topsfield, Mass. in October 1998.
No finding aid - see Special Collections librarian for assistance.
Henry Russ Butler Photographs, SpC MS 1339 sc, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department, University of Maine, Orono, Maine
- Parsonsfield Seminary (North Parsonsfield, Me.) -- Photographs (Organization)
- University of Maine -- Alumni (Organization)
- University of Maine -- Buildings (Organization)
- University of Maine -- History (Organization)
- University of Maine -- Students (Organization)
- Lambda Chi Alpha. Beta Chapter (University of Maine) -- History (Organization)
- Guide to the Henry Russ Butler Photographs
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note