Business Records of a Blacksmith
The Collection consists of the business records of an unidentified blacksmith from the mid-1800's. The sheets list services performed and their cost. The blacksmith appears to have lived and/or worked in the town of Standish, Maine.
- Creation: 19th century
Conditions Governing Access
No restriction on access
Rights assessment remains the responsibility of the researcher. No known restrictions.
Blacksmiths were essential to the society of the 19th century. Before factories were using mass production methods to quickly make and sell large quantities of metal items, it was the blacksmith who crafted these items. (excerpted from https://www.nps.gov/teachers/classrooms/who-was-a-blacksmith.htm ; accessed 8/31/2023)
Standish is a town in Cumberland County, Maine, and was once hunting and fishing territory of the Abenaki tribe. In 1750, the Massachusetts General Court granted the township to Captain Moses Pearson and Captain Humphrey Hobbs, together with their respective companies, for services during the French and Indian Wars. It was to be called Pearson and Hobbs Town, but Hobbs died and none of his company took possession. In 1752, the land was surveyed and divided into 30-acre lots. Pearsontown Plantation was incorporated as Standish on November 30, 1785. The town is named in honor of Captain Myles Standish. (excerpted from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standish,_Maine ; accessed 8/31/2023)
1 folder (2 sheets; 31 x 39 cm.)
Language of Materials
- Guide to the Business Records of a Blacksmith
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Peter Altmann
- August 2023
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.