Robert H. White Collection
Scope and Contents
Robert H. White Collection contains notes, interview tapes and a microcassette recorder pertaining to Passamaquoddy, Penobscot, and Maliseet language and cultural materials. Also includes notes from White's book: Tribal Assets.
Conditions Governing Access
Kept in Fogler Libary's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Conditions Governing Use
Rights assessment remains the responsibility of the researcher. For digitized items free from access restrictions, please contact the Special Collections Department.
The University of Maine has already entered into a formal Memorandum of Understanding with the Penobscot Nation to manage donations of original documents about Penobscot culture and history (MOU), but has not yet reached similar agreements with Maine's other three Wabanaki tirbes, including the Passamaquoddy Tribe (Indian Township and Pleasant Point), the Houlton Band of Maliseets, and the Aroostook Band of Micmacs. It is the intent that Special Collections will hold and mangage the Robert H. White Collection in the spirit of the MOU with respect to all four of the Wabanaki tribes in the State of Maine, both recognizing the importance of indigenous input and decisions about their language, history, culture, and tribal government documents and extending these cooperative working relationships and understandings based on mutual trust and respect.
1.50 linear feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Robert White, June 2005.
Audio tapes were digitized by Raymond H. Fogler Library staff member Larry Corbett.
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Brochures Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Drafts (Documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Indians of North America -- Maine -- Languages Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indians of North America -- Material culture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Interviews Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Malecite Indians
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Old Town (Me.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Passamaquoddy Tribe
- Penobscot Nation
- Publications Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Robert H. White Collection
- Box And Folder List Available
- Sarah Gordon
- July 2022
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States