Bussell Family Papers
Scope and Contents
Papers and business records of the Bussell family of Argyle and Old Town, Maine. Alfred Bussell's papers include a small amount of incoming correspondence; deeds; receipts for food, payments on notes, taxes, etc.; plus tax receipts and documents, 1862-1878.
John B. Bussell's papers contain personal and business correspondence, 1883-1910; financial information; and receipts for groceries and other personal items as well as for taxes paid and for services such as horseshoeing, etc. His logging records include memo books, payroll lists for the Penobscot Lumbering Association, and scale bills.
The collection ends with miscellaneous material not identified as belonging to either man. It includes tax receipts from Argyle, deeds, descriptions of land, and family and legal documents.
- Majority of material found within 1883-1904
- Bussell family (Family)
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
The collection contains papers and business records of Alfred W. Bussell of Argyle, Maine, and John B. Bussell of Old Town, Maine. Very little biographical information is available about either man and their relationship to each other is unknown. Alfred Bussell appears to have been the tax collector and perhaps constable for Argyle in the 1860s and 1870s. He and his wife, Julia, also owned property in the area.
John B. Bussell, whose papers make up the majority of the collection, seems to have been in the logging business. He submitted scale bills and was associated with the Penobscot Lumbering Association, perhaps with Samuel Low or Lowe. In the 1910-1911 town directory for Old Town, he is listed as manager for the S.F. Hersey Land Company although there are no documents from this company in the collection. He and his wife, Martha E. Bussell, also owned, leased and rented residential property in Old Town.
0.5 cubic feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Papers and business records of Alfred W. Bussell of Argyle, Maine and John B. Bussell of Old Town, Maine.
Organization and Arrangement
This small collection is organized into four groups: papers of Alfred W. Bussell, papers of John B. Bussell, logging records of John B. Bussell, and miscellaneous.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Argyle (Me.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bussell, Alfred W.
- Bussell, John B.
- Bussell, Julia A.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Deeds Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Forests and forestry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legal documents Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Logging -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lumbering -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Old Town (Me.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Penobscot Lumbering Association
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Tax records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Bussell Family Papers
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.