Edith Gardner and Family Papers
Scope and Contents
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Edith Howard Gardner was born on May 1, 1889, to Fred L. Gardner and Mary S. Gardner. Edith was the oldest of four children and resided in Dennsyville, Maine with her family until 1906. Edith left to attend Abbott Academy in Andover, Massachusetts and returned to Dennsyville in 1909 after completing her schooling. While at Abbott Academy she studied the violin, which she continued to pursue throughout her life by teaching the violin and participating in recitals.
Edith’s father, Fred L. Gardner was the son of A.L.R. Gardner, who owned the A.L.R. Gardner Co. a general store in Dennsyville, Maine. Edith worked at the A.L.R. Gardner Co. store when she resided in Maine between her time spent at Abbott Academy.
After meeting George H. Merriam III, Edith and George married, August 18, 1921. Edith resided in Worcester, Massachusetts with George until his death in 1944. Edith and George had one son, George H. Merriam IV, born May, 17, 1922. After her husband, George, died, Edtih moved back to Maine and married a friend of both hers and George, Ray Tobey, on June 22, 1948. Edith and Ray resided at the Pine Cone Farm, in Fairfield, Maine. Edith passed away in Waterville, Maine following a long illness on July 24, 1975.
7.5 linear feet (8 boxes)
1 folio folder (2 items)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged in six series with subseries: I. Correspondence and Personal Papers, II. Diaries, III. Photographs and Scrapbooks, IV. A.L.R. Gardner Co. Papers, V. Dennsyville Brass Band Papers, and VI. Miscellaneous.
Series I is divided into five subseries: 1. Edith Gardner, 2. George Merriam III, 3. Ray Tobey, 4. Geroge Merriam IV, 5. Family. Series II is divided into four subseries: 1. Fred L. Gardner Diaries, 2. Edith Gardner Diaries, 3. George Merriam III Diaries, 4. Family Diaries. Series III is divided into seven subseries: 1. Gardner Family Photographs, 2. Merriam Family Photographs, 3. Tobey Family Photographs, 4. Memory books, 5. Autographs Books, 6. Guest Books, 7. Miscellaneous.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- A. L. R. Gardner Company (Dennysville, Me.)
- Abbott Academy
- Andover (Mass.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bands (Music) -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dennsyville Brass Band
- Dennysville (Me.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Gardner family
- Gardner, Fred L. (Fred Lee), 1862-
- General stores -- Maine -- Dennysville Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Merriam, George H. (George Henry), 1894-
- Merriam, George H. (George Henry), 1922-
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Receipts (Financial records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Teachers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tobey, Ray
- Worcester (Mass.) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Young women -- Maine -- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Edith Gardner and Family Papers
- Box And Folder List Available
- Kari Beaty
- August 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.