Maria Holt Papers
Correspondence, publications, flyers, notes and other materials documenting the efforts to close the Maine Yankee nuclear power plant dating from the 1960s to the 2000s. Includes daily records of radioactive emissions from the plant.
- Holt, Maria (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Kept in Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Conditions Governing Use
Rights assessment remains the responsibility of the researcher. No known restrictions.
Maine Yankee Nuclear Power Plant was a nuclear power plant built at an 820-acre site on Bailey Peninsula of Wiscasset, Maine, in the United States. It ran from 1972 until 1996, when safety and other problems at the plant became too expensive to fix. It was finally decommissioned and dismantled between 1997 and 2005, though some of the plant's nuclear waste is still stored on site, pending final disposal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Yankee_Nuclear_Power_Plant; accessed 9/28/2018).
Born and raised in Farmington, Maria Glen Holt studied nursing at Cornell University in New York. She worked many years as a public health nurse. Maria married Dr. Alfred Holt and the couple moved to Bath when Dr. Holt transferred his practice there. Maria served two terms as a State Representative and ultimately became an environmental activist, fighting against construction of Maine Yankee Nuclear Power Plant in Wiscasset, Maine. In 2017, Maria co-authored the book, The Death of Maine Yankee: Antinuclear Activists' Adventures, 1969-1996, with Elisabeth King.
2.0 linear feet (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
- Antinuclear movement Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Articles Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Documents Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Maine Yankee Atomic Power Company
- Nuclear power plants Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Radiation, Background -- Maine -- Wiscasset Region Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Radioactive pollution -- Maine -- Wiscasset Region Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wiscasset (Me.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Maria Holt Papers
- Box And Folder List Available
- Staff of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department
- June 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States