Canton, Maine Town Records
Scope and Contents
A collection of town records of Canton, Maine. Included is a ledger dated 1842 listing taxes assessed on real estate and personal property of residents, another from 1882 listing property valuations and taxes assessed, a pocket valuation and list book for 1916, and a small collection of tax records from years between 1874 and 1900. Also included is a small collection of records from the selectmen's office from 1829 to 1868; a collection of bills presented to the town between 1839 and 1904, including bills to the town treasurer, 1874-1904, for school expenses, teacher salaries, upkeep on school buildings, etc.; a small collection of school district records from 1875 to 1901; and warrants for town meetings from 1826, 1847, 1872, 1894, and 1901. Lists of town farm accounts, 1895 and 1900, plus a list of voters, 1899, are also found in the collection.
- Canton (Me.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Rights assessment remains the responsibility of the researcher. No known restrictions.
The town of Canton was settled in 1792 and incorporated in 1821.
1 linear foot (1 box)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from S. Baker, Grand Rapids, Michigan in February 2001; Paul Farrington, South China, Maine in June 2001; and Old Paperphiles, Tiverton, Rhode Island in April and November 2001.
- Canton (Me.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Municipal government records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Poor -- Services for -- Maine -- Canton Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Property tax -- Maine -- Canton Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Schools -- Maine -- Canton Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Teachers -- Maine -- Canton -- Salaries, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Canton, Maine Town Records
- Box And Folder List Available
- Staff of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
- October 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States