Peleg Bradford Letters
Scope and Contents
These papers consist of Peleg Bradford's letters to friends and family during his time as a soldier in the Civil War. Collection also includes typewritten copies of the original letters.
- August 28, 1862-April 7, 1865
- Bradford, Peleg, 1841- (Person)
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Peleg Bradford was born in 1841. He joined the 18th Maine Voluntary Infantry (later 1st Maine Heavy Artillery) and was mustered in on August 21, 1862 at Bangor. The Regiment left Bangor for Washington D.C., August 24, 1862. They served in the defense of Washington D.C. till May 15, 1864 when they were assigned to the Army of the Potomac. During June 16-18, 1864, the Regiment participated in the assault on Petersburg. Bradford was wounded on the 17th of June. His leg was amputated and he spent the balance of the war in the hospital. He was discharged with the regiment Sep 20, 1865. Bradford married Cynthia McPhearson, Oct 7, 1866. He became a selectman of Carmel and ran a sawmill. He died in 1918 or 1919. His brother Owen was killed at Petersburg, age 16 years, 8 months.
1 linear foot (1 box)
Language of Materials
These papers consist of Peleg Bradford's letters to friends and family during his time as a soldier in the Civil War.
Organization and Arrangement
The letters are arranged chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Mr. Richard S. Bradford of Orono, Me., December 1984.
- Carmel (Me. : Town) -- Biography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Maine -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- Maine -- Carmel -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Typescipts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Maine Heavy Artillery Regiment, 1st (1863-1865) -- Biography
- Guide to the Peleg Bradford Letters
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.