Edward Leander Higgins Architectural Records
Identifier: SpC MS 0242
Scope and Contents
Collection contains architectural drawings and records of Edward Leander Higgins and his son Ambrose S. Higgins, including office records, specifications, plans and elevations, architectural renderings, correspondence and blueprints for a wide variety of buildings mostly in the state of Maine. Represented in the collection are plans for business, public and residential structures in Bar Harbor, Ellsworth, Skowhegan, Portland, Camden and Cape Elizabeth among others.
Restrictions on Access
Collection kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Edward Leander Higgins, son of Ambrose H. and Elizabeth Ash Higgins, was born on March 8, 1879, in Bar Harbor, Maine. He was a member of the class of 1905 at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and established an architectural office in Portland, Maine, in 1906, practicing there until his death in 1936. He designed many residences in the Portland area as will as numerous churches. Higgins married Hortense L. Stevens in 1906 and they had two children: Ambrose Stevens Higgins and Blanche Elizabeth Higgins.
Ambrose S. Higgins was born in 1908. He graduated from Trinity College, Hartford, Conn., in 1931 and from the School of Architecture at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1935. He joined his father's firm after graduation, served in the U.S. Air Force in World War II, and opened an office in Bar Harbor, Maine, after his discharge. In 1952 he joined the Bangor architectural and engineering firm Crowell-Lancaster, later known as Crowell-Lancaster-Higgins and then Higgins-Webster & Partners. Higgins designed a wide variety of buildings including residential, commercial, industrial, educational and public structures. Ambrose Higgins died in 1971.
2000 technical drawings
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the Higgins family in 1974.
- Architects -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architectural drawings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Architecture, Domestic -- Designs and plans -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Church architecture -- Designs and plans -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Higgins, Ambrose S.
- Higgins, Edward Leander
- Public architecture -- Designs and plans -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Edward Leander Higgins Architectural Records
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.