York Family Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a daily list of farm chores written in 1866-1867 by an unknown compiler as well as Samuel York's diaries from 1891-1923, outlining his daily activities on his farm. Poultry records for 1907 and 1912-1913 are also found in the collection. Also included are letters dated 1883-1895 to Frank P. York , then living in Manchester, New Hampshire. The letters are primarily from his mother, Augusta York, and his sisters, Mary and Hattie, and discuss family matters. An audiotape made by the donor, Ellen M. Watson Greer, daughter of Hattie York Watson, is included in the collection and describes its content, especially the farm journals.
- York family (Family)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights available in the Library.
Samuel York was born in 1836 in Farmington, Maine. He was a farmer in New Sharon, Maine and died there in 1923. He married Augusta E. Drew, and they had three children: Frank P., Mary E. and Hattie A. York. Hattie York married Alna D. Watson, who was also a farmer in New Sharon.
2 boxes (14 folders)
Language of Materials
The collection contains a daily list of farm chores, diaries, and correspondence of the York family of New Sharon, Maine.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Ellen M. Watson Greer of Richmond, Maine in June 2003.
- Audiotapes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Family -- Maine -- New Sharon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farmers -- Maine -- New Sharon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Greer, Ellen Matilda Watson
- New Sharon (Me.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Sharon (Me.) -- Social life and customs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Poultry -- Maine -- New Sharon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- York, Augusta E.
- York, Frank P.
- York, Hattie A.
- York, Mary E.
- York, Samuel
- Guide to the York Family Papers
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States