Maine Forest and Logging Museum Records
Scope and Contents
Collection, 1957-1998, includes documents and files about the Maine Forest and Logging Museum in Bradley, Maine. Specifically includes information about Leonard's Mills Dam and Chemo Pond documenting elevation data, recorded water levels, and restoration/alteration projects and proposals. Also included are the executive committee's and the board of director's meeting records and member lists. Correspondence files include letters from the Department of Environmental Protection, the Department of the Army, general correspondence, and correspondence to and from Dave Edson (the president), Christopher Murdoch (the executive director) and Robert Frank (a member). Financial records are also included, as well as correspondence from Loiselle and Beatham Accountants. The Maine Forest and Logging Museum's permit information (including applications and guides) can also be found in this collection.
- Maine Forest and Logging Museum, Inc. (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
The mission of the Maine Forest and Logging Museum is to preserve, celebrate and educate people about the sustainable forest culture of Maine. The museum is a nonprofit organization incorporated in 1960, and is unique within the State in its focus on forest resources in a cultural context.
A unique plan was crafted to present a “living history site” to share authentic artifacts and portrayals of craftsmen, housing, and food that were part of a woodcutters life on the Maine frontier. A search for the appropriate spot for such an site eventually located “Leonard’s Mills”, as archaeologists had found evidence of five sawmills on Blackman Stream. During the late 1960s, a total of 204 acres of the Penobscot Experimental Forest were deeded as a donation to Maine Forest and Logging Museum. (from http://www.maineforestandloggingmuseum.org/mission-and-history, accessed February 27, 2018)
2 linear feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Neil W. McGowean on August 11, 2014.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Forests and forestry -- History -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Industrial museums Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Leonard's Mills -- Maine -- Bradley Subject Source: Local sources
- Living historical museums Subject Source: Afs Ethnographic Thesaurus
- Logging -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Membership lists Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Permits Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Maine Forest and Logging Museum Records
- Box And Folder List Available
- Elizabeth A. Russell
- August 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note