League of Women Voters of Maine Records
Scope and Contents
Records of the League of Women Voters in Maine. Collection includes chapter records and state level records. The records include correspondence, pamphlets, manuscripts, reports on both the administration of the organization, and on the issues of the organization and on the issues of the day.
- League of Women Voters of Maine (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights is available in repository.
The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy. The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, has fought since 1920 to improve our systems of government and impact public policies through citizen education and advocacy. The League's enduring vitality and resonance comes from its unique decentralized structure. The League is a grassroots organization, working at the national, state and local levels. There are Leagues in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands and Hong Kong, in addition to the hundreds of local Leagues nationwide. The League of Women Voters of the United States and the League of Women Voters Education Fund operate at the national level with grassroots support from state and local Leagues. The League of Women Voters is strictly nonpartisan; it neither supports nor opposes candidates for office at any level of government. At the same time, the League is wholeheartedly political and works to influence policy through advocacy.
Language of Materials
Records, 1913-2008, of the League of Women Voters of Maine, Maine's branch of the national nonpartisan political organization. Includes organizational election records, board meeting minutes, annual meeting records, voters guides, school guides as well as the records collected by a representative of the League of Women Voters of Maine while attending and observing public meetings of local municipal organizations.
- Annual reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Documents Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Maine -- Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Women -- Maine -- Political activity Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women political activists -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the League of Women Voters of Maine Records
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States