Sherman Lumber Company Records
Scope and Contents
This small collection contains records that provide insight into all operations of the Sherman Lumber Company. The records are arranged according to the following functions: administrative and organizational, financial, production, sales, and labor.
The company account registers, 1930 and 1932, contain sections giving financial information about customer accounts, information about business expenses of Sherman Lumber itself, and information about types and amounts of wood supplied to Sherman. These are followed by invoices, 1909-1915, for equipment, groceries, hardware, etc., purchased by Sherman. A ledger lists orders to Sherman from F.E. Blodgett Lumber, Suncook, New Hampshire, listed on its letterhead as a shipper of slabs, edgings, baled shavings and dry pine sawdust; and from Edwin H. Buzzell, a wholesale lumber dealer in Boston. General order books, 1926-1935 and 1941-1955, a sales register and a weekly time book complete the collection.
- Majority of material found within 1901-1932
- Sherman Lumber Company (Sherman, Me.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights available in the Library.
The Sherman Lumber Company was founded in 1894 by Frank L. Robinson. Located in Sherman Station, Maine, it was for a time the oldest independently owned and continuously operated sawmill in the state. It began as a producer of sawn lumber only; in 1911 it began to manufacture hardwood flooring and later produced hardwood panels for the furniture industry. In 1967 the first chipper was installed to supply round wood chips to the pulp and paper industry.
The company closed in the late 1990s.
2.8 cubic feet (4 boxes)
Language of Materials
Records related to operations of the Sherman Lumber Company, founded in 1894 and located in Sherman Station, Maine. The records are arranged according to the following functions: administrative and organizational, financial, production, sales, and labor.
The collection has been re-housed in acid-free folders and boxes. Documents have been surface cleaned as needed and metal fasteners removed.
- Account books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Invoices Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ledgers (Account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lumber trade -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Robinson, Frank L.
- Sawmills -- Maine -- Sherman Station Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sherman Station (Me.) Subject Source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Guide to the Sherman Lumber Company Records
- Box And Folder List Available
- March 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.