Mildred "Brownie" and William E. Schrumpf Papers
Scope and Contents
Papers of a newspaper columnist and gastronomic guru in the Bangor area and of an agricultural economist. Includes columns, cookbooks, recipes, notebooks, menus and correspondence. Many of the cookbooks and much of the material relates to Maine.
- Schrumpf, Mildred "Brownie" (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights available in the Library.
Mildred "Brownie" Schrumpf was born in Readfield Depot, Maine in 1903. She attended high school in Winthrop and attended the University of Maine, Orono, graduating in 1925 in Home Economics. She married William E. Schrumpf, an agricultural economist with the University of Maine Agricultural Experimental Station. She authored a column on cooking in the Bangor Daily News beginning in 1951. In addition to being Central Maine's Dean of Cooking, she was very active in many public service organizations. Some of these are: Assistant State Leader for 4-H, AAUW, All Maine Women, Women's Legislative Council of Maine, Maine Press and Radio Women, Chi Omega, Omicron Nu, and Maine Home Economics Association. She received many honors from these and other organizations including Woman of the Year in 1966 from the Maine Press and Radio Women. She is author of a cook book, The Flavor of Maine.
William E. Schrumpf was born in Chelsea, Mass. in 1887 and died in Bangor in 1976. He received his B.S. in Agricultural Economics from the University of Maine in 1928 and his M.S. in 1930. He married Mildred G. Brown in 1932. In 1928 he joined the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station as a graduate assistant, and he remained in that post until he completed his graduate study in 1930. In that year he became an assistant agricultural economist with the station. He devoted his entire time to research. He authored a number of publications for the Experiment Station.
15 linear feet (15 boxes)
Language of Materials
Organization and Arrangement
Arranged by type of record: newspaper column, recipes, cookbooks, correspondence, periodicals, appointment books, notebooks, personal/professional and memorabilia.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Mildred "Brownie" Schrumpf, June 1998.
- Agricultural economists -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Appointment books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Cookbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Cookery -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Memorabilia Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Notebooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Recipes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Schrumpf, William
- Guide to the Mildred "Brownie" and William E. Schrumpf Papers
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.