Weed Family Records
Scope and Contents
Records, 1831-1911, documenting the life and death of Wyatt J. Weed, originally of Veazie, Maine. Also included are official government papers and awards stemming from his election to the Maine State Legislature and his membership in the Militia of Maine's band.
Weed's family was involved in logging and this collection contains records directly related to the business, including memorandums, financial records, as well as original land deeds.
- Weed family (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available from repository.
Wyatt J. Weed (1882-1911), was accidentally killed by electrocution at the age of 29 while working for an electrical company in Ocean Park, California. As a native of Veazie, Maine he was returned there for burial in the family plot.
Prior to working in California, he was a representative of the 50th Legislature of the State of Maine and at one time was a musician in the military band of the Militia of Maine, 2nd Regiment, 2nd Brigade, 3rd Divison.
0.45 linear feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Records pertaining to Wyatt Weed and the family's logging business in Veazie, Maine. Also includes land deeds and clippings about Wyatt's death by electrocution.
The papers came arranged in four series and these were maintained: 1. Papers relating to death of Wyatt J. Weed, circa 1882-1911; 2. Wyatt J. Weed - Miscellaneous Papers, 1831-1880; 3. Logging Contracts and Financial Records, 1849-1877; and 4. Deeds - Original, 1822-1889. Series 3 includes two subseries: Memorandums and financial records.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History, Maine Folklife Center, University of Maine, Orono, Maine.
- Contracts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Deeds -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Logging Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Memorandums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Receipts (Financial records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Veazie (Me.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Weed, Wyatt J., circa 1882-1911
- Guide to the Weed Family Records
- Box And Folder List Available
- Moriah Lee
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States