Lewis P. Warren Business Records
Scope and Contents
Ledgers, 1850s-1890s (bulk 1860s-1880s), documenting Lewis P. Warren's farm accounts. Very little information about Warren's other business ventures - brief mentions of wire, moccasin, and lumber businesses.
- Creation: 1805-1899
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1860-1880
- Warren, Lewis P., -1900 (Person)
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Restrictions on Use
Information on literary rights available from the repository.
Lewis P. Warren was born in Westbrook, Maine on August 11, 1817, the youngest child of John and Eleanor (Lamb) Warren. He was educated in Westbrook, finishing with two years at the Parsonfield Academy in York County, Maine. He and his brother George entered into partnership with Rufus and Cyrus King, who kept a large general store. Cyrus and Lewis P. took charge of the dry-goods department while George and Rufus managed the grocery department. After five years, in the fall of 1842, Lewis P. withdrew from active work at the company in order to manage his father’s farm business. Cyrus King established a dry-goods business on his own and George Warren and Rufus King continued in the grocery trade under the name of King & Warren. Lewis owned one-quarter of the business, but was not an active partner.
From 1845 to 1854, the lumber business established by their father was conducted by a partnership consisting of their uncle, Nathaniel Warren, Lewis P. and George Warren, and Joseph Walker. In 1854 a new partnership was formed under the name of Brigham, Clemens & Warren. The first member of the firm, Dana Brigham, had for many years been a clerk and bookkeeper in the employ of John Warren, and later in the firm of Walker & Warren. This new association was extensively engaged in the manufacture of lumber until 1868, when Mr. Brigham died and George and Lewis P. Warren purchased his share, as well as that of Clemens, changing the name to G. & L. P. Warren.
Upon the death of their father, his landed estate, mill, and mercantile interests came into the joint possession of George and Lewis P., which was kept undivided until 1876. George took charge of the mill and mercantile business and Lewis P. continued managing the farm. In addition to the extensive lumbering interests, they had a joint interest in the manufacture of wire (Warren & Pennell), in milling (S. T. Raymond & Co.), in the manufacture of moccasins (W. H. Neal & Co.), and in the manufacture of weavers’ harnesses (Warren, Pennell & Co.) In 1876, a division of property was made between Lewis P. and George, after which Lewis P. devoted himself solely to the care of the farm.
Lewis P. was married on February 20, 1844 to Sarah Turner (b. 1818). They had five children: John W. (b. 1847), Albert F. (b. 1850), Lelia A. (b. 1852), Edna A. (b. 1857), and Cora B. (b. 1858). Lewis P. Warren passed away in 1900.
0.5 linear feet (1 box)
Fifty ledgers from 1805 to 1899, documenting the business interests of Lewis P. Warren of Westbrook, Maine.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Dan Casavant Books, March 2013.
- Guide to the Lewis P. Warren Business Records
- Box And Folder List Available
- Elizabeth Russell
- April 14, 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.