Camping in Maine Collection
Scope and Contents
A collection of publications, programs, scrapbooks, photos, correspondence and other records of camps in Maine, particularly children's summer camps. The camps started in Maine by Luther and Charlotte Gulick are best represented in the collection. Information about the Camp Fire Girls is also included. Material from other summer camps as well as from commercial hunting, fishing and wilderness lodges can also be found in the collection.
Information on literary rights available in the library.
The collection contains information on summer camps and fishing and hunting camps in Maine. The material was received as a result of a campaign in 1973 by the Special Collections Department at Fogler Library to solicit records and information from these types of organizations.
The camps started by Luther Halsey Gulick (1865-1918) and Charlotte Vetter Gulick (1865-1938) are the best represented in the collection. The Gulicks founded the Camp Fire Girls in 1910 and also founded several camps in Maine. Camp Wohelo, located on Sebago Lake near Raymond, Maine, and consisting of Little Wohelo for girls ages 6 to 12 and Sebago Wohelo for girls ages 12 to 16, was founded in 1907; Camp Timanous for boys was founded in 1916 and is located in the Sebago Lake region of Maine.
Several other summer camps that existed in the 1970s are also represented in the collection. Information provided by various fishing, hunting and wilderness camps is also included.
3 linear feet (3 record cartons)
Language of Materials
The collection contains information on summer camps and fishing and hunting camps in Maine.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposited by camp owners and managers.
The user should note that material received from the Pine Island Camp, a camp for boys located in the Belgrade Lakes region of Maine, was removed from this collection and added to the Pine Island Camp Records (MS 410) held by the Special Collections Department.
- Brochures Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Fire Girls
- Camp sites, facilities, etc. -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camping -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camps -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fishing lodges -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gulick, Charlotte V. (Charlotte Vetter), 1865-
- Gulick, Luther Halsey, 1865-1918
- Hunting lodges -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pamphlets Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Camping in Maine Collection
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States