Ralph Whittier Papers
Scope and Contents Note
Collection contains material by and about Ralph Whittier. Included is a travel diary, 1928, kept by Whittier while he was on a voyage from New York to Southampton. The diary also details his travels around England. Also included is correspondence from Whittier, 1937-1949, to Stephen and Dorothy Wheatland; letters, 1950-1951, from Ralph Whittier's brother Clement Whittier to the Wheatland family; and letters, eulogies, biographical sketches, etc., 1950-1953, most to or by Stephen Wheatland and concerning Ralph Whittier's death and the settling of his estate. Photographs of Wheatland family members and activities as well as of other friends of Ralph Whittier are also found in the collection.
- Majority of material found within 1937-1953
- Whittier, Ralph, 1882-1950 (Person)
No restrictions on access.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Ralph Whittier of Bangor, Maine, was born in Dennysville, Maine, April 13, 1882, the son of Rev. Charles Whittier and Henrietta Thurston Whittier. Ralph Whittier graduated from the University of Maine in 1902, taught for a year at Hampden Academy, worked for a time at the First National Bank of Bangor and then moved to the Penobscot Savings Bank where he became president in 1935. Whittier supported many alumni activities at the University of Maine and served as treasurer of the University of Maine Foundation at its formation in 1934. He was also active in many community and civic organizations including the Bangor Public Library, the Bangor Anti-Tuberculosis Association, and the Penobscot Marine Museum among others. He was a close friend of Stephen and Dorothy Wheatland and much of the collection concerns his involvement with them.
Stephen Wheatland was born in Gibraltar and graduated from Harvard in 1921. He moved to Bangor, Maine, in 1936 and managed timberlands in northern Maine and New Hampshire. He was a charter member of the University of Maine Foundation and served as its president for 10 years. Stephen Wheatland died in 1987.
Language of Materials
Collection contains material by and about Ralph Whittier. Included is a travel diary, correspondence, eulogies, biographical sketches, etc. Photographs of Wheatland family members and activities as well as of other friends of Ralph Whittier are also found in the collection.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Stephen Wheatland, April 1976.
No finding aid - see Special Collections librarian for assistance.
- Biograpical sketches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Eulogies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Transatlantic voyages Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Maine -- Alumni and alumnae
- Wheatland, Stephen, -1987
- Whittier, Clement
- Guide to the Ralph Whittier Papers
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States