Christopher A. Clough Diary
Scope and Content Note
The diary of a farmer from Readfield, Maine covering the years 1867-1870. The text chronicles the daily activities of a farmer, trapper, carpenter, and jack-of-all-trades. The diary describes agriculture, day-to-day business, neighborhood activities, notes, deaths, and diversions. Included also is a 4-page summary of the contents of the diary.
- Clough, Christopher A., 1840- (Person)
No restrictions on access.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Christopher A. Clough was born on April 11, 1840. He lived on a small farm with his wife Sarah in Readfield, Maine. He grew potatoes, onions, and oats on his farm. He maintained an orchard and a hive of bees. He was a handyman, making picture frames, butcher knives, cradles, and coffins for his neighbors. He was an outdoorsman as well as a solid citizen. He attended town meetings and Republican Party caucuses.
1 folder (diary : 2 items, 34 cm ; summary : 4 pages)
Language of Materials
The diary of a farmer from Readfield, Maine covering the years 1867-1870.
No finding aid - see Special Collections librarian for assistance.
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Farmers -- Maine -- Readfield Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Maine -- Social Life and Customs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Readfield (Me.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Christopher A. Clough Diary
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States