Samuel Lane Boardman Letters
Scope and Content Note
Letters of an agricultural editor, writer, and journalist and of a noted Maine naturalist. Included are letters signed by Samuel L. Boardman requesting publications and information on agricultural statistics and publications from the state of Maine for the Columbian World's Fair. Included also are 2 letters signed by George A. Boardman.
- Boardman, Samuel Lane, 1836-1914 (Person)
- Boardman, George Augustus, 1818-1901 (Person)
No restrictions on access.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Samuel Lane Boardman was born in Bloomfield, now the town of Skowhegan, Maine in 1836. He was assistant editor of the Country Gentleman, Albany, N.Y., in 1859; editor of the Maine Farmer from 1861 to 1878; editor of the American Cultivator, Boston, in 1873; editor and publisher of the Home Farm, Augusta from 1880 to 1886; agricultural editor of the Kennebec Journal for 1889-1892; secretary of the Maine State Agricultural Society from 1872-1874; trustee of the Maine State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, 1874 to 1879; member of the board of managers of the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station, 1885 to 1887. He died in Augusta, Maine in 1914.
George Augustus Boardman was born in 1818 in Nerburyport, Massachusetts. He graduated from Calais Academy. He was a merchant and lumber manufacturer in Calais, Maine. In his spare time he studied the natural history of Maine and New Brunswick and amassed a large private collection in ornithology and natural history. He died in 1901 in Calais.
1 folder (10 items)
Language of Materials
Letters of an agricultural editor, writer, and journalist and of a noted Maine naturalist. Included also are 2 letters signed by George A. Boardman.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposited by L. Eastman in 1976.
No finding aid - see Special Collectons librarian for assistance.
- Agriculture -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Natural history Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Samuel Lane Boardman Letters
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States