Skip to main content

Telos Canal Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: SpC MS 1064-sc

Scope and Contents Note

The records of a logging company in Maine. Included are copies of the incorporation papers of 1846, financial papers of the company from 1903 to 1919, statements of tolls, minutes of meetings, correspondence, and tax papers. Included also are two copies of a document Telos Lake, from Report of Land Agent of Maine of 1841, printed by order of Senate of January 14, 1840. Included also is a map of the Upper St. John River; two copies of a newspaper clipping from the Bangor Daily News (Aug. 22, 1963) about the Telos Dam; a reprint of The Telos Cut, by Lore A. Rogers, from the May 1966 issue of The Northern Logger; a carbon copy of The Telos Cut, by Myron H. Avery (22, vii pages); The Telos Canal: a lumberman's canal near Moosehead Lake, Maine, which diverts the water from the Allagash to the Penobscot (dated 1928); and photographs of the Telos and Lock Dams taken on or about May 18, 1942.

Dates

  • Creation: 1846-1966
  • Creation: Majority of material found within 1846-1920

Creator

Access Restrictions

No restrictions on access.

Use Restrictions

Information on literary rights available in the repository.

Historical Note

In the 1830s Amos Roberts and Hastings Strickland obtained control of a piece of land that contained the drainages into two major watersheds. These were Webster Lake, a headwater of the East Branch of the Penobscot River, and Telos Lake, which in its natural state was a headwater of the Allagash River. It was decided to build a canal between Telos and Webster Lakes so logs could be moved from Chamberlain Lake and into Telos Lake and then into the East Branch basin. By fall 1841 dams were in place and a canal ten to fifteen feet wide and one to six feet deep stretched five hundred feet from Telos to Webster Lake. It was thereafter known as the Telos Cut. The Telos Dam held back the lake's water to create enough force, upon release, to drive logs through the cut to Webster Lake. The dam not only enabled its owners to control the flow into the canal but also to collect a toll per thousand board feet of lumber from any landowner along these lakes who wanted to drive their logs to Bangor mills and markets. The Telos Canal Company was incorporated by Rufus Dwinel and Calvin Dwinel in 1846 in the Acts and Resolves of the State of Maine, Chapter 386, approved Aug. 7, 1846. The corporation had the right to construct, maintain and keep open and in repair a canal with a suitable dam for the passage of water, logs and lumber between Telos Lake and Webster Pond in the county of Piscataquis.

Biographical Note

George H. Hamlin was born in Sidney, Maine, in 1850. He graduated in 1873 from the Maine State College, now the University of Maine, in the Department of Civil Engineering. After graduating, he became a tutor in the department and in 1880 was appointed Professor of Civil Engineering. He was treasurer of the college from 1889 to 1896 and was active in the Alumni Association. He also had a general engineering business and was an advocate for the development of good roads in the state of Maine. Following his career as a professor he became consulting engineer for the International Paper Company and treasurer of the East Branch Improvement Company and the Telos Canal Company.

Extent

2 Folders

1 folio folder

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The records of a logging company in Maine. Included are copies of the incorporation papers of 1846, financial papers of the company from 1903 to 1919, statements of tolls, minutes of meetings, correspondence, and tax papers. Included also are two copies of a document Telos Lake, from Report of Land Agent of Maine of 1841, printed by order of Senate of January 14, 1840. Included also is a map of the Upper St. John River; two copies of a newspaper clipping from the Bangor Daily News (Aug. 22, 1963) about the Telos Dam; a reprint of The Telos Cut, by Lore A. Rogers, from the May 1966 issue of The Northern Logger; a carbon copy of The Telos Cut, by Myron H. Avery (22, vii pages); The Telos Canal: a lumberman's canal near Moosehead Lake, Maine, which diverts the water from the Allagash to the Penobscot (dated 1928); and photographs of the Telos and Lock Dams taken on or about May 18, 1942.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Purchased from DeWolfe & Wood, Alfred, Maine, in July 2002.

General

No finding aid - see Special Collections librarian for assistance.

Title
Guide to the Telos Canal Company Records
Status
No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
Date
2012
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English.

Repository Details

Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States
207-581-1686