Cutts Family Papers
Scope and Contents Note
Papers of a prominent family living in Saco, Maine in the first half of the nineteenth century. Included is a pamphlet by George Addison Emery titled Colonel Thomas Cutts : Saco's most eminent citizen in the country's early days, published in 1917 in Saco, Maine. Also included are farmer's almanacs, most of them by Robert B. Thomas, for the years 1813-1820, 1822, 1829, 1832-34, and 1850. The almanacs are interleaved with diary entries. Thomas Cutts was probably the author of the diary entries in the almanacs for 1813-1820. William Cutts signed the cover of the 1822 almanac. It is unknown who kept the diary entries for the remainder of the almanacs.
- Majority of material found within 1813-1850
- Cutts family (Family)
No restrictions on access.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Colonel Thomas Cutts was one of the most eminent merchants in Maine and rose to great wealth. He was born in 1736 and moved to Saco, Maine in 1758. During his lifetime he was a West India merchant, ship owner, military officer, member of the Massachusetts legislature and of the governor's council. Prior to June 22, 1768 he was known as Thomas Cutt. On that date he added "s" to his name and was generally known as Thomas Cutts thereafter. He died January 10, 1821.
1 folder (15 items)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Phil Grime, Bay View Co., Saco, Maine, in February 2002.
- Almanacs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Cutts, Thomas, 1736-1821
- Cutts, William, 1786-1867?
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Emery, George Addison, 1839-1933
- Maine -- Biographies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pamphlets Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Saco (Me.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Thomas, Robert Bailey, 1766-1846
- Guide to the Cutts Family Papers
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note