C. H. Sawyer Papers
Scope and Contents Note
Papers of a manager of a paper company and a superintendent of a telegraph company in Bangor, Maine. Included are business letters and telegrams to C. H. Sawyer as manager at the Orono Pulp and Paper Company and as superintendent at the Northern Telegraph Company. Included also are letters concerning the cutting of timber for the pulp and paper mill and the sending of batteries, vitriol and other supplies. A few of the letters concern employment. Included also are letters from Edmund A. Whitman with the firm of Elder, Wait & Whitman in Boston concerning litigation over the cutting of timber. Included are 4 letters written in 1876 by Charles Burrill, treasurer of Warren Powder Mills, Boston, to C. H. and R. W. Sawyer in Abbot, Maine concerning a supply of blasting powder. Included also are 4 unrelated items.
- 1901 (bulk)
- Sawyer, C. H. (Charles Haven) (Person)
No restrictions on access.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
C. H. (Charles Haven) Sawyer was a resident of Bangor, Maine. In 1876 he was listed in the Bangor City Directory as a railway and telegraph contractor along with his brother R. W. Sawyer. In 1901 he was employed as manager of the Orono Pulp and Paper Company and as superintendent of the Northern Telegraph Company, both firms headquartered in Bangor. His brother Robert was treasurer of the Orono Pulp and Paper Company in 1901.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from DeWolfe & Wood, Alfred, Maine in July 2002.
- Burrill, Charles
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Logging -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Northern Telegraph Company (Bangor, Me.)
- Orono Pulp and Paper Company
- Sawyer, R. W. (Robert W.)
- Telegrams Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Whitman, Edmund A.
- Guide to the C. H. Sawyer Papers
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note