Grand Lake Dam Company Records
Scope and Contents Note
A small collection of records concerning the Grand Lake Dam, in Township 6 Range 8 of Penobscot County, Maine. Included is a copy of Chapter 388, An Act to incorporate the Grand Lake Dam Company, approved by the State of Maine on August 7, 1846. Also included are 12 photographs of the Grand Lake Dam in 1942 with George H. Hamlin in some of the photographs taken by Paul F. Kruse, Chief Engineer at the Bangor Hydro-Electric Company.
- Grand Lake Dam Company (Me.) (Organization)
No restrictions on access.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
The Grand Lake Dam Company was incorporated by the State of Maine in 1846. John Goddard, James Perkins, Rufus Dwinel, and E.S. Coe were authorized to construct and maintain a dam in Township 6 Range 8 in Penobscot County to control the flow of Grand Lake in order to facilitate the transportation of logs and lumber across the lake and down the Penobscot River. The act also gave the company the right to collect tolls on the logs and lumber which passed through the sluiceway.
George H. Hamlin was born in Sidney, Maine, in 1850. In 1880 he was appointed Professor of Civil Engineering at the University of Maine. Following his career as a professor he became consulting engineer for the International Paper Company and treasurer of the East Branch Improvement Company and the Telos Canal Company.
Paul F. Kruse was Chief Engineer at the Bangor Hydro-Electric Company in 1942.
Language of Materials
A small collection of records concerning the Grand Lake Dam, in Township 6 Range 8 of Penobscot County, Maine.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from DeWolfe & Wood, Alfred, Maine in July 2002.
No finding aid - see Special Collections librarian for assistance.
- Carbon copies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dams -- Maine -- Penobscot County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Grand Lake Dam (Me.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hamlin, George H.
- Kruse, Paul F.
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Grand Lake Dam Company Records
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note