East Branch Dam Company and East Branch Improvement Company Records
Scope and Contents Note
Records of a company and its successor which owned a share of the power rights of the Penobscot River in Maine.The records of the East Branch Dam Company include a copy of the act of incorporation, a deed dated 1862 but never executed by David Pingree et al. to sell to the East Branch Dam Company all rights to the Webster Dam, several bills from 1907, and two diaries kept by workers on the East Branch dams. The first is by W. R. Goodwin in 1890 and the second is by F. H. Allen in 1901. Also included are records of the East Branch Improvement Company from 1903 to 1949. Included are bills, receipts and vouchers, annual reports from 1944 to 1949, scattered tax bills and receipts from 1907 to 1932, treasurer's financial statements from 1904 to 1936, minutes of meetings of stockholders and directors, correspondence, and 4 photographs of the Telos Canal.
No restrictions on access.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
The East Branch Dam Company was incorporated by the state of Maine in 1852. The company was authorized to erect dams at the outlet of Webster Lake, side dams in the Webster stream, and side dams at or near the Grand Falls to increase the facility in driving logs and other lumber. It also had the right to purchase Grand Lake Dam and to collect tolls on the lumber which passed over Grand Lake Dam.
On March 18, 1903, the East Branch Improvement Company received its charter from the legislature of Maine. This charter authorized the taking over the franchises, real estate and all rights and privileges held by Telos Canal Company, East Branch Dam Company, and Grand Lake Dam Company. At this time the stock of Telos Canal Company was owned or controlled by David Pingree and James N. Chandler, Pingree 60 shares, Chandler 40 shares. Mr. Pingree also controlled the stock of East Branch Dam Company and Grand Lake Dam Company. For the sum of sixty thousand dollars Mr. Pingree conveyed to East Branch Improvement Company sixty shares of the stock of Telos Canal Company and the franchises and property of the other two companies. Mr. Chandler would not sell his forty shares of the Telos Canal Company stock so that the franchise and property of that company were not acquired.
George H. Hamlin, a former professor of civil engineering at the University of Maine, was one of the incorporators of the East Branch Improvement Company in 1903. He was elected Treasurer in 1904 and served at least through 1934. In the annual reports for the company from 1944 to 1949 he was listed as the Assistant Treasurer.
Language of Materials
Records of a company and its successor which owned a share of the power rights of the Penobscot River in Maine.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from DeWolfe & Wood, Alfred, Maine in July 2002.
No finding aid - see Special Collections librarian for assistance.
- Allen, F. H.
- Annual reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Bills of sale Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- East Branch Dam Company (Me.)
- East Branch Improvement Company (Me.)
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Goodwin, W. R.
- Hamlin, George H.
- Logging -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Receipts (Financial records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Vouchers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the East Branch Dam Company and East Branch Improvement Company Records
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note