Jacob Blanchard Diaries
Scope and Contents Note
Diaries of a resident of Blanchard, Maine. The 4 diaries cover the years 1887, 1888, 1889-June 1890, and 1892-June 1894. The diaries include cash accounts; weather and temperature records; the number of eggs collected and sold; records of planting, collecting of sap, and working as a carpenter; and other daily activities. Included also are a letter dated May 17, 1894 requesting Jacob Blanchard to read a paper or give a speech in Dover, Maine; a letter from the clerk of the Congregational Church in Blanchard certifying that Jacob Blanchard was a member in good standing of the Congregational Church in Blanchard; receipts for contributions to the Maine Missionary Society, the Congregational Church Building Society in New York, and the American Missionary Society; receipts for subscriptions to the Piscataquis Observer in 1896 and 1897; and a receipt for state, county, and town taxes for the year 1898 in Blanchard.
- Blanchard, Jacob, 1812- (Person)
No restrictions on access.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Jacob Blanchard, Jr., was born in Cumberland, Maine in 1812. In 1833 he settled in Blanchard, Maine. He was a carpenter and lived in Blanchard all his life. He took an active part in town affairs and served as School Supervisor. He was also Deacon of the Congregational Church. He married Rachel, who was born in Hebron, Maine, in 1836 and they had 7 children. Rachel was born in 1815 and died October 25, 1892.
1 folder (15 items)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Jim Wentworth, Moosehead Manufacturing Co., Monson, Maine in January 2003.
- Blanchard (Me.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Carpenters -- Maine -- Blanchard Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Receipts (Financial records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Jacob Blanchard Diaries
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note